Histories of the Kings, Cavepeople, Beasts, and Battles Behind Today’s News
by David W. Tollen
David Tollen’s new book tells the histories behind today’s great issues. It’s a “reader’s digest” for the vital ideas of anthropology and world history – with a user-friendly voice and a rare breadth of topics. Those topics include the origins and role of “races,” humanity’s 50,000-year management of the environment, the sources of Western power, the deaths of democracies, our species’ unusual war with microorganisms, and the myths and realities of conspiracies. Each of the fifteen chapters covers one topic — in just eight to eighteen pages. (See below for the table of contents.)
Origin Stories‘ genre includes works like Harari’s Sapiens and Diamond’s Guns, Germs and Steel. But it’s shorter and simpler than those and similar books, so it will serve a broader audience.
David Tollen has succeeded in multiple roles by explaining very complex topics in simple, user-friendly language. He is a best-selling and award-winning author, expert witness, attorney, sought-after speaker, and instructor at U.C. Berkeley Law School.
David wrote The Tech Contracts Handbook, which has for years ranked as the #1 bestseller on Amazon from ABA Publishing. He also wrote The Jericho River, a multiple-award-winning YA novel that uses fantasy to teach world history. And he writes this blog.
David teaches IT contracts at U.C. Berkeley Law School. And he works as a lawyer, legal trainer, and expert witness at companies he founded. He also serves on the board of advisors for World History Encyclopedia. David has degrees from Harvard Law School and Cambridge University, as well as a B.A. in history from U.C. Berkeley.
For more on David, please see our About page.
Table of Contents
MOSTLY PREHISTORIC STORIES
- Our Forager Story
- Human Species, Hybrids, and Races: How Different Are We, and How Did We Get That Way?
- Ancient Environmental Engineering
- Assault of the Germs
- Lost Races: The Origins of Today’s Populations
- Geography and the Roots of Asian and European Power
MOSTLY HISTORIC STORIES
- Spirits and Gods: The Origins of Today’s Religions
- Violence: Why We Never Given Peace a Chance
- The History of Gender
- Decline and Fall … and Rebirth: How Civilizations Have Died or Transformed
- The Rise of Western Civilization: How Europe Was Different
- Races and Racism: Their Invention and Evolution
- Nations and Nationalism: A New Way to Organize the World
- Conspiracies in History: What the Past Tells Us About Conspiracy Theories
- Death of Democracy: How We Lose It
- Western Civilization vs. the Alternatives: How We’re Doing So Far
- Hanging Gardens of Babylon from 16th century CE engraving by Martin Heemskerck, cropped – public domain and provided through World History Encyclopedia
- David Tollen speaking
- Neanderthal woman, cropped, © Stiftung Neanderthal Museum
- The Emperor Augustus Rebuking Cornelius Cinna for His Treachery, Etienne-Jean Delécluze, 1814, cropped (including to remove Cinna) — provided through VanGoYourself
- Judith with the Head of Holofernes, Lucas Cranach the Elder (1520-1540)
- Double helix, courtesy of Pixabay.com and iStock